Some parents feel obliged to help their children with maths homework.
This is a relatively recent demand by schools, regrettable because:
- Homework is supposed to be practice for children to work on their own.
- The parent may be no good at maths or has been taught in a different, old-fashioned way…
- Which can promote arguments..
Which can be harassing for the parent, who may have done a hard day’s work.
Which can lead to family discord.
- A parent’s job is to see that its child does its homework — not to do it for their offspring, to any degree.
- The maths teacher is supposed to teach maths to children, not to parents.
- 50% of maths teachers are NOTqualified to teach maths. So why add a different, unqualified teacher to the equation?